Becoming A Better Developer

I recently read a blog post by Justice Gray where he discussed what he plans to do to become a better software developer. His theory was that if he made his plans public, he would be more likely to follow thru with them.

He personally decided to read 27 software development books before October 2007. I don't see how he could possibly absorb everything by reading that fast. But the idea of another technique to become a better developer appealed to me. I consider myself a professional and am always trying to improve my skills. Unfortunately, since I'm not a popular tech blogger, there is no one to tag me. So I'm going to go ahead and tag myself :-)

Here are the things I'm going to do in the next six months to become a better developer:

#1) Read.

#2) Write a simple game
  • I've always wanted to create games, but never got much past Pong. I'd always start on something and never finished it. This time I just started on a simple space shooting game and I'm going to see it through.

As for tagging, I'm picking:
  • Brian Whittington
  • Matt Dyar
  • Angela Free
  • Eric Sansom
You guys have to post to the internet what you're going to do in the next six months to become better developers. (If you don't have a blog or other place to post it, send it to me and I'll add it to the bottom of this post.)

Update: I've added a new post with the responses it've gotten back.

Comments

Justice~! said…
"I don't see how he could possibly absorb everything by reading that fast."

Aren't you going to be surprised come October! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring Color Icons in Gimp 2.10

My Nullable DateTime Picker

PowerBuilder and SQL Server: Tips On Working Together