Mr. Leatherwood Was Right

When I was in college, there was an I.T. instructor named Mr. Leatherwood. I remember several tidbits of information that he gave us.

A Programmer, On Average, Only Writes About 10-12 Good Lines of Code a Day

I’ve found that to be true. Meetings, debugging, talking with users, fixing bugs, setting up source control, writing documentation, etc., all take up time during the day. Some days you'll write 100s of lines. Others you'll write none.

The I.T. Department Is The One That Knows What Is Going On In The Organization

Because they write the programs for all the different areas, they are the ones who know what each part of the organization is doing.

You Can Do More Than You Think You Can

This was a big one for me.  It's not something that he directly said. He would gave us a programming assignment one day with a due date of a few weeks. Then, before that was due, he would give us another assignment. And then another. I thought "There's no way I can get all of this done." But I did. I discovered that I could do more than I thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring Color Icons in Gimp 2.10

My Nullable DateTime Picker

PowerBuilder and SQL Server: Tips On Working Together