And so it begins..

My MythTV Journey, Part 1

It all started a while back when I decided that it would be nice if I could view some of the videos I had on my computer on my TV screen. My first attempt at this involved hooking up some wireless A/V sender/recievers I had lying around. This worked, but had a few problems. For one, my 2.4GHz phone interfered with the 2.4GHz A/V sender (even on different channels.) Another problem was that I would have to run back to the other room to start the video, which, of course, was a pain.

My next attempt was a little more successful. I placed my laptop next to the TV and hooked them together. Using Media Portal and my ATI Remote Control, I was able to watch computer videos on my TV. This worked, but it had quite a few problems:
  • It was a hassle to hookup all the wires (power cable, video cable, audio cable, usb adatper for remote, etc.) everytime I wanted to do it.
  • If I wanted to use my laptop, I had to unhook it.
  • Media Portal would sometimes slow down or lockup.
  • Couldn't play all the formats I wanted to.
  • Needed access to videos on desktop computer (w/ large hard drive). I could have fixed this by setting up a wireless network, but I never made it that far.
  • Took up space in entertainment center. (Space had to stay empty so I could ad and remove laptop.)
  • Pain to run Media Portal and them change settings on laptop to output to TV only.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring Color Icons in Gimp 2.10

My Nullable DateTime Picker

PowerBuilder and SQL Server: Tips On Working Together